Build host architecture and SDK/Toolchain release

kyak bas at bmail.ru
Fri Oct 14 13:33:09 EDT 2011

Hi guys,

First of all, i want to remind you that we've talked a lot about how to
involve more people into the development process for Ben.

At some point we agreed that the OpenWrt SDK, which is released along with
the release image is sufficient as an entry point for a developer who is
seeking for a quick start with Ben porting/development.

However, as you know, the current build host is 64 bit system; and the SDK
produced on it
(OpenWrt-SDK-xburst-for-Linux-x86_64-gcc-linaro_uClibc-0.9.32) is not
suitable for 32 bit systems. However, if we had a 32 bit build host, there
wouldn't be such a problem - people running 64 bit system would be able to
use a 32 bit SDK.

I'm not sure if it is a big problem to switch from 64 bit to 32 bit on a
buildhost, but i'm sure that it is vital important so that those seeking
to develop for Ben would be able to download SDK and kick start using it
independent of if they were running x86 or x64 host.

Secondly, the SDK tarball released now is 720+ Mb; 2.7 Gb when unpacked.
It includes all the binaries, including those that can be used to repack
(not rebuild) the original image.
I suppose that it makes sense to include the OpenWrt Toolchain in release
as well (CONFIG_MAKE_TOOLCHAIN). It is much smaller and, if it is 32 bit,
it can be used to build small programs for Ben promptly.

So what do you think about it? Xiangfu mentioned about the upcoming
release based on linux-3.1, i think it would be great to have these at
that time :)