How Far Should I go?

cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com
Sun Oct 16 00:31:12 EDT 2011

 I am wondering what you all think about how far I, or any of us, for
 that matter, should go with hacking on the Ben. For one, Qi adapted
 OpenWRT rather than made a new distribution from (near) scratch. Was
 this due to time constraints, or something else? Would it be worth it
 for someone to learn the MIPS architecture sufficiently well to make a
 Ben Tailored OS? Or, since the new Nanonote may or may not have a
 similar chip, is it better to stay "on the surface" as it were and not
 get too involved in low-level stuff? Maybe the experience alone of deep
 MIPS knowledge will be worth it even if we move to another chip in the
 future? If one does not go deeper than the kernel and other basic utils,
 I suppose "from scratch" would mean getting a custom kernel and utils,
 tuning them, then building from there, right?  I think in general, x86
 GNU/Linux is assumed to be as optimized as it could be, but I'm not sure
 about other architectures like ARM, MIPS, etc. Since someone has already
 done the work, perhaps it is not good to try and re-do it...?