How Far Should I go?

Alan Post alanpost at sunflowerriver.org
Sun Oct 16 01:24:32 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:31:12PM -0500, cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com wrote:
> I am wondering what you all think about how far I, or any of us, for
> that matter, should go with hacking on the Ben. For one, Qi adapted
> OpenWRT rather than made a new distribution from (near) scratch. Was
> this due to time constraints, or something else? Would it be worth
> it for someone to learn the MIPS architecture sufficiently well to
> make a Ben Tailored OS? Or, since the new Nanonote may or may not
> have a similar chip, is it better to stay "on the surface" as it
> were and not get too involved in low-level stuff? Maybe the
> experience alone of deep MIPS knowledge will be worth it even if we
> move to another chip in the future? If one does not go deeper than
> the kernel and other basic utils, I suppose "from scratch" would
> mean getting a custom kernel and utils, tuning them, then building
> from there, right?  I think in general, x86 GNU/Linux is assumed to
> be as optimized as it could be, but I'm not sure about other
> architectures like ARM, MIPS, etc. Since someone has already done
> the work, perhaps it is not good to try and re-do it...?

If you'd like to stay with Linux, but are interested in moving off
of OpenWRT, you might find one of these projects interesting for
your effort:

  https://github.com/pikhq/bootstrap-linux
	http://www.landley.net/aboriginal/

Neither of these are "ready-to-go" for the Ben; the second isn't
strictly a distribution.  They are both an attempt to build the
smallest *self-hosting* linux environment, and in that role make
good bootstrapping tools.

They're essentially one step above Linux From Scratch.

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi cu penmi gi'e du