How Far Should I go?

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 04:28:53 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:24:32PM -0600, Alan Post wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 11:31:12PM -0500, cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com wrote:
> > I am wondering what you all think about how far I, or any of us, for
> > that matter, should go with hacking on the Ben. For one, Qi adapted
> > OpenWRT rather than made a new distribution from (near) scratch. Was
> > this due to time constraints, or something else? Would it be worth
> > it for someone to learn the MIPS architecture sufficiently well to
> > make a Ben Tailored OS? Or, since the new Nanonote may or may not
> > have a similar chip, is it better to stay "on the surface" as it
> > were and not get too involved in low-level stuff? Maybe the
> > experience alone of deep MIPS knowledge will be worth it even if we
> > move to another chip in the future? If one does not go deeper than
> > the kernel and other basic utils, I suppose "from scratch" would
> > mean getting a custom kernel and utils, tuning them, then building
> > from there, right?  I think in general, x86 GNU/Linux is assumed to
> > be as optimized as it could be, but I'm not sure about other
> > architectures like ARM, MIPS, etc. Since someone has already done
> > the work, perhaps it is not good to try and re-do it...?
> >

> If you'd like to stay with Linux, but are interested in moving off
> of OpenWRT, you might find one of these projects interesting for
> your effort:
>
>   https://github.com/pikhq/bootstrap-linux
> 	http://www.landley.net/aboriginal/

I made my own GNU/Linux flavour for the Ben, and that's what I run:
http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/cgi-bin/nanonixos

But I used zero mips-knowledge to achieve that. :) There are plenty of other
ARM or MIPS computers running GNU/Linux, so I think the ARM/MIPS code for
MIPS or GNU programs is under enough care already by upstream programmers.

Regards,
Lluís