Build host architecture and SDK/Toolchain release

Xiangfu Liu xiangfu at sharism.cc
Sun Oct 16 21:29:15 EDT 2011

On 10/15/2011 01:33 AM, kyak wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm not sure if it is a big problem to switch from 64 bit to 32 bit
> on a buildhost, but i'm sure that it is vital important so that those
> seeking to develop for Ben would be able to download SDK and kick
> start using it independent of if they were running x86 or x64 host.

Hi Kyak

switch the buildhost from 64 to 32 will be some work. :( good news is
I have a 32bit server which is only host my blog. I think better we build
both 64bit and 32bit. (since the compile script file is pretty stable.
I will test and report)

> Secondly, the SDK tarball released now is 720+ Mb; 2.7 Gb when
> unpacked. It includes all the binaries, including those that can be
> used to repack (not rebuild) the original image. I suppose that it
> makes sense to include the OpenWrt Toolchain in release as well
> (CONFIG_MAKE_TOOLCHAIN). It is much smaller and, if it is 32 bit, it
> can be used to build small programs for Ben promptly.

the SDK tarball is almost twice size then before. so it is time
we enable the TOOLCHAIN again.

> So what do you think about it? Xiangfu mentioned about the upcoming
> release based on linux-3.1, i think it would be great to have these
> at that time :)

I will try to build both 64bit and 32bit in next few days. the linux version
is 3.0 not 3.1 since the openwrt upstream is using the linux-3.0 now.
their are a lot of generic patch on openwrt like: 'openwrt-xburst/target/linux/generic'
I don't want touch them and focus on ben nanonote. so it is linux-3.0 in next release. :)

thanks kyak
xiangfu