reflesh_ben.sh on gentoo/~ppc

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Sep 1 14:43:39 EDT 2011

> Hi,

>>> but it doesn't work... :(
>>
>> Hmm, did you say gentoo/PPC as in *PowerPC* ?
>>
>> PowerPC is big-endian, I'd guess that xburst-tools are not
>> endianess-safe?  Might have to add a few instances of htonl() htons()
>> throughout the source...
>>
>> 困ったなあ。

> yes, my gentoo is running on powerpc mac mini, the lost technology by
> apple.  I also suspect endian related bug.

BTW htonl() and htons() are no-ops on big-endian, so that tip of mine is
nonsense :)

As a workaround for now, you could try to (cross-)compile a (statically
linked) version of usb-boot for x86 or mipsel (or armel/armeabi), and
just launch it via qemu-i386 resp. qemu-mipsel.  These qemu-commands do
user-space emulation, i.e. simulate a CPU and just pass syscalls to your
PPC system.  This way, they will also pass all the syscalls that access
the USB bus, and I guess this will suffice to make usbboot work.

cheers,

David