Nanonote keyboard rebuild

Ron K. Jeffries rjeffries at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 20:25:16 EDT 2011

That's an interesting idea. But you could not use
the external keyboard if using 802.15.4 radio e.g. ATben.

BenDongle might be an alternative. ;)

An approach that might work, involves stealing an idea
from Google. Android phones have USB device interfaces.
GOOG has  created Android Debug Bridge.
It uses a simple protocol[1][2] allowing a computer with
USB host can talk to and exchange data with an Android phone.

See also Android Open Accessory Development Kit [3]

It seems feasible that we [the royal "we"] could design a little dongle
that plugs into Ben's USB device port, and in turn provides
two USB ports that are special i.e. only support  USB keyboard
and USB mouse. A driver on the Ben would talk take in serial
data carried over USB and send it to the correct linux driver.
the Keyboard and Mouse ports should be full size, naturally.

It would be ok for this dongle to need it's own battery. Personally
I'd select the same Nokia battery that Ben uses.

And while we dream, given a BenDongle, one might incorporate
a cheap AVR chip and bring out a bunch of i/o pins. You might even
use the UBB on 8:10 port as a way to (occasionally) program the AVR chip.
If memory serves, Werner and Tuxbrain already proved that concept works.

[1] http://www.androidauthority.com/about-android-debug-bridge-adb-21510/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/microbridge/
[3] http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/adk.html
---