Thoughts on New Frimware

Freemor freemor at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 5 15:53:44 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

  I've been using the new firmware for a few days now and wanted to post my thoughts.

Generally, I love it. Much Thanks to all those that made it the great release that it is.

The instant on is a big plus, the more aggrssive power management is both nice and frustrating
as it often blanks the screen whiLe I'm reading but on the plus side my battery hasn't zeroed
out once due to me forgetting the device was on (which it did a couple of times on the previous
firmware).

The console font on the virtual consoles (ctrl+alt+Fx) seems bigger and that is causing the
calendar setting part of ben-time-set to cack, bash from gmenu2x is still a good size.
Not sure what the diffrence is but must have lost a line or column someplace.

Love the informative start-up (I'm not a big fan of splash screens).

I'm having 1 small issue. Calcures is not shutting down correctly. It seems to but if I
run it forom a console it is ending with an "abort" message (not exactly diagnostic) and
due to this is leaves the /root/.calcurse/.calcurse.pid file intact causing any further
attempts to run calcurse to cack at startup with a nessage about the stale .pid file. I
dont know if this is happening for others or is due to something in my calcurse data.

One other issue (tiny) that needs addressing is that gmenu2x doesn't seem to have /root
set as it's working directory. This is causing links to download files to /usr/bin/
where many people would never find them. This can be fixed by setting /root/ as the
download folder in /root/.links/links.cfg file or changing the launcher to start links
with the -download-dir /root/ option. Not being sure which is the prefered option I'll
leave the fix up to more experienced Dev's. In my case I've changed the config file to
point to /mnt/mmcblk0p1 (which I have automounting)

Great release, again thanks for all the time and work.

Regards,
Freemor