kexec

Andrea Bolognani eof at kiyuko.org
Sat Sep 10 17:22:29 EDT 2011

I played a bit with kexec on the NanoNote today.

The first thing I noticed is that, despite the fact that both kexec-tools
and kexecboot are included in the software image, the current kernel does
not have kexec support, so I’ve built a kernel with CONFIG_KEXEC=y.

I copied the uncompressed kernel[1] to the NanoNote and ran

	$ kexec -l /boot/vmlinux --append="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"

to load the kernel into memory: the command completes succesfully, as can
be seen by looking at the contents of /sys/kernel/kexec_loaded.

To make the new kernel boot I added the command

	kexec -e

at the end of the stop() function in /etc/init.d/umount, after all
filesystems have been sync'ed and umount'ed, but when I poweroff
the system hangs instead of rebooting.

Have anybody else ever tried kexec on the NanoNote? Did you manage to
get it to work, and how?

[1] build_dir/linux-xburst_qi_lb60/linux-2.6.37.6/vmlinux
--
Andrea Bolognani <eof at kiyuko.org>