New Nanonote keyboard

cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com
Sat Sep 10 21:56:41 EDT 2011

 Emboldened by my success with the minor rebuild of my nanonote
 keyboard, I have got a crazy idea. Why not try to make one from scratch?
 I am in a unique position because unlike normal mechanical keyboards,
 which could never be machined by hand, the Nanonote keyboard is actually
 rather simple. After searching for pre-existing key materials, I settled
 on modeling clay as a test material. I rolled the stuff out with a
 rolling pin, then used a plain kitchen knife to cut the right sized
 squares. I measured 8mm long by 7mm tall for each key and about 1mm
 thick. The first 2 batches were too thick, but in time I will probably
 get that down to a more thin sheet. Since I could not find a spare
 credit card for the backing, I sunk to using cardboard. To adhere the
 keys to the back and to each other, I used my old standby fabric paint
 (not as smelly as silicone). After that dries, I still need to add
 nipples on the back for the keys to have reasonable action. We'll see
 how it goes. Here are the pics of so far. BTW, I know I'm crazy.

 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Rolledclaykeys.jpg
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Imposedkeys.jpg
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Sizedkeys.jpg
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Angledbuild2.jpg
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Cardboardbacking.jpg
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Keyplacement.jpg
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Keyboardbackside.jpg
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Glueapplied.jpg

 You may be interested, or this may oddly anger you. It seems a little
 unimportant and frivolous even to me right now, but let me know that you
 think...