New Nanonote keyboard

Jon Phillips jon at fabricatorz.com
Sat Sep 10 23:30:25 EDT 2011

You are cool!

On Sunday, September 11, 2011,  <cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com> wrote:
> Emboldened by my success with the minor rebuild of my nanonote keyboard, I
have got a crazy idea. Why not try to make one from scratch? I am in a
unique position because unlike normal mechanical keyboards, which could
never be machined by hand, the Nanonote keyboard is actually rather simple.
After searching for pre-existing key materials, I settled on modeling clay
as a test material. I rolled the stuff out with a rolling pin, then used a
plain kitchen knife to cut the right sized squares. I measured 8mm long by
7mm tall for each key and about 1mm thick. The first 2 batches were too
thick, but in time I will probably get that down to a more thin sheet. Since
I could not find a spare credit card for the backing, I sunk to using
cardboard. To adhere the keys to the back and to each other, I used my old
standby fabric paint (not as smelly as silicone). After that dries, I still
need to add nipples on the back for the keys to have reasonable action.
We'll see how it goes. Here are the pics of so far. BTW, I know I'm crazy.

> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Rolledclaykeys.jpg
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Imposedkeys.jpg
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Sizedkeys.jpg
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Angledbuild2.jpg
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Cardboardbacking.jpg
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Keyplacement.jpg
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Keyboardbackside.jpg
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Glueapplied.jpg
>
> You may be interested, or this may oddly anger you. It seems a little
unimportant and frivolous even to me right now, but let me know that you
think...

Jon Phillips
http://fabricatorz.com/
chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) | +1-510-499-0894 (sf)
+86-187-1003-9974 (beijing)