What's the real problem with wireless on the Ben?

cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com
Mon Sep 12 15:04:59 EDT 2011

 I know that a) the Ben can get Internet through ether-USB and b) there
 does exist a wifi microsd module which is supposed to work. Therefore is
 the real problem the fact that Qi-hardware cannot make and distribute
 wifi products because of patents? I know a lot of us USE wifi everyday,
 (it's my main method of getting online) but are we supposed to disagree
 with 802.11x just like we choose not to use non-Free software? Is there
 a better protocol to use for wifi, a Libre one? If so, would that
 require new network hardware , maybe even a new ISP? What I am trying to
 say is that even though the Ben is fully open, we use devices that may
 not be with it all the time like MicroSD (which I believe we cannot even
 say- we have to say 8:10 or something, right?) I don't know of any "open
 standard" memory card types and it would be too much for Qi to try and
 make one. In the future, IF the second Nanonote has USB host, at this
 point I wouldn't feel too wrong about plugging in my USB wireless g
 adapter and using the Libre driver. Am I off base?