New Nanonote keyboard

cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com
Tue Sep 13 02:23:02 EDT 2011

 So I rolled out a new batch of keys tonight, here's what they look like

 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Batch3keys.jpg
 http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/File:Batch3keys2.jpg

 I managed to get the keys flatter, thinner, and with better surface
 area this time. As far as physical characteristics go, They are
 polymer/clay, and at this thickness even after baking the pieces remain
 flexible. There are not like the hard plastic keys that the stock
 keyboard has. I'm not sure if that's good or bad at this point, but it
 is how it is. with enough bending back and forth and playing with them,
 they will break in two. I think that is shear force so they have bad
 resistance to that. But how violent can you get with a tiny key smaller
 than a uSD card? It should last at least a good 10,000 key presses if
 not more. Anyways, that's all for now, let me know how I'm doing on the
 whole stepwise refinement.I know the edges need to be cleaner before I
 have something good.

 Ah yes, before I go, since Ben is "completely" free, do I have some
 kind of access to the mold data for the casing? Also, does anyone know
 details on how the case is made? Is it ALL machine, or some by hand? I
 am thinking of getting one of those "make a mold kits" to try and see if
 I could make my own Ben case, but would like to know more about how the
 current one is made. I know it is not your standard hacker's request for
 a datasheet, but I think it does qualify as part of a copyleft plan,
 right?