De-gadget-ification, the next step for the Nanonote

cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com
Tue Sep 13 04:54:39 EDT 2011

 I think the more we can break the dependence of the Nanonote, the less
 it has to plug in to a "real" computer for things, the better. Then it
 would cease or at least start to be more than a "gadget". I actually
 like the term gadget, but it has the connotation of being sort of
 experimental and not good or stable for everyday work. This connotation
 is obviously one I want the Nanonote to be free of. There are a few
 things in my opinion that would contribute to the break into
 independence.

 VGA screen or higher. It was the standard not so long ago, so it should
 be workable.
 pointing solution. There is no replacement for a good ol' cursor.
 Solo internet connectivity. Whether it be wired or whatever, being able
 to get the Net without firing up another computer would be sweet.
 Self-maintaining. Perhaps the new Nano could update and even flash
 itself?

 The above would make the Nanonote more of a mini-laptop

 Another minor thing that I have felt is that the menu system we have
 now with Gmenu2x looks toy-like and illegitimate. It also does not allow
 for full appreciation of any wallpaper we have. I prefer the "little
 showing as possible until you activate a task menu" look.