What's the real problem with wireless on the Ben?

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Wed Sep 14 08:09:18 EDT 2011

> While I agree that USB host seems really cool, I think it is not as
> cool as it seems. In fact the current Ben is not used optimally, and
> doing so would bring more than USB host would bring, I think.
>
> For optimal use, we need software which is really useful on the Ben.
> And so on.

100% agree.

> If qi-hardware thinks the same way (not sure if they do, but I think
> it at least comes close), they will allow you to use an SD card,
> including a wifi SDIO card, with your Ben. But they will not spend
> their resources on adding it to the device. They will not adjust
> their designs to make it fit in.

Yes sure. Keeping proprietary (closed) technology out is a very
practical matter. If it's closed, sooner or later you run into a bug
you cannot fix, or you run into some small nasty misbehavior you cannot
improve, and so on. I don't want to get into a position where I have to
tell my customers that I cannot improve the usage experience of the
product they bought from me because I don't have full control over
what I sold to them. That's just not fun.

But of course we are testing against a lot of stuff if people want to
use the product in certain ways. That's exactly what we did with the
Spectec Wi-Fi card, the eventual outcome was as expected :-) A support
nightmare.

Cheers, and thanks for all the nice writeup that so very much sums up
how I feel about things too.
Wolfgang