kexec

Andrea Bolognani eof at kiyuko.org
Thu Sep 15 03:31:57 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 02:20:24PM +0800, Xiangfu Liu wrote:

> seems we meet different errors.
> I will try to enable the "Built-in kernel command line" and try again
>
> Linux version 2.6.37.6 -->Linux version 2.6.37.6
> Linux version 2.6.37.6 -->Linux version 3.0
> Linux version 3.0 -->Linux version 2.6.37.6
>   the screen stop after exec 'kexec -e', no more message
>   more info about this may relate to :http://en.qi-hardware.com/irclogs/qi-hardware_2011-03-03.log.html#t09:12
>

> Linux version 3.0 -->Linux version 3.0
>   the screen keep output kernel message. end with:
>   Kernel panic - not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0.0)

Looks like Linux 3.0 can get much further in the boot process than 2.6.37,
no matter what the kernel that kexec's it is.

Since I believe the Software Image is switching to 3.0 anyway, kexec might
be a viable solution in the near future. The part about not being able to
mount the root fs is interesting, maybe only a little bit of tweaking is
needed there?

I’ll see if I can try the kernels you’re using, but I don’t have serial
console access so I might not be able to get anything useful out of it.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof at kiyuko.org>