Ben/Ya Nanonote

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Fri Sep 23 20:39:07 EDT 2011

ljones,
thanks a lot for asking! It's great to see that we have so many Ben
NanoNote users that trust us enough to give the Ya a chance too :-)

>From my hands though, don't expect a Ya NanoNote for at least another
year.

> Is it cancelled or is it still going ahead at all?

How can an open project be canceled? We haven't opened up all parts
of the Ben to a satisfying degree yet, which is a high priority for me.
Absolutely going ahead.

> Also has the spec been decided on at all (e.g. usb host, more ram, higher
> res screen etc?).

No. In general - the more performance the better, and the features you
mention make perfect sense. See
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ya_NanoNote_Specs
On the other hand, the actual features come out after determinining
design complexity, manufacturability, price, continuity from NanoNote
or Milkymist, etc. So - too early to tell now, I cannot make any
promises.

> Also did anyone ever manage to get rockbox to run on the nanonote?

That'd be nice, it would probably be a lot of detail work to get
it to work well though. Reminds me how much better software on the
Ben can still get :-)

BTW - Thanks a lot for buying a Ben! I understand it cannot replace
your sansa fuze and n900 yet, but the *yet* is the thrilling part
and for sure we want to make devices that can satisfy all our
computing needs. It's pretty clear that we better not rely on
Nokia, for example :-) (though I hope for things to improve there)

Cheers,
Wolfgang