problem usb port recognizing Ben

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Mon Apr 2 14:22:36 EDT 2012

[..]
> I loaded a linux distro off of one of these bootable distros dvd.
> Linux booted up ok, but the Ben was not recognized on my HP Pavillion
> Elite PC's usb port.  The HP appears to recognize normal USB readable
> devices ok, like a web cam, memory stick etc...

> Has anyone had difficulty getting their PC to recognize the Ben?

What do you mean with recognize?  The Ben is not recognized like a
USB-Stick or MP3 Player.  It is *not* going to show up as a hard drive.

Instead it provides a USB network device.  If you type

/sbin/ifconfig -a

a new device named "usb0"  should be listed when the Ben is plugged in.
Here is a more detailed description of how to set this up:

http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ethernet_over_USB

Please feel free to ask more questions.

cheers,

David