New OpenWrt Release: stable 2012-04-09

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Fri Apr 13 06:17:06 EDT 2012

> On 04/13/2012 06:25 AM, David Kuehling wrote:
>> work (superseded by alfilesel+NuPDF anyways?)

> Hi David

> Do you think we can replace gmenu2x with a 'almenu' by using allegro
> game library? is that hard?

Interesting that you ask.  This has been on my todo list for quite some
time.  But there are so many things to decide before starting, that I
never got to it :)

 * liballegro does have a menu system.  Using it, 'almenu' would be
 pretty easy to do, though maybe pretty ugly and not very modern GUI
 (same look as 'alfilesel').

 * thought about using liballegro's s/w 3-D rendering support to do
 something fancy like a "desktop cube".  this would take me a lot more
 time, not even sure that it would scale to larger menus (limited CPU
 power etc)

 * think we should use gmenu2x's menu and icon files.  BUT: loading many
 small files makes it slow to startup.  What I thought: use liballegro's
 data files (something like a ZIP file, but optimized to quickly load
 sprites etc. directy to memory).  Make data-file keep a monolithic copy
 of menu and icons, only update data file once in a while when asked by
 the user.

 * We could write the whole thing in Python using 'alpy' bindings to
 liballegro.  However, bindings do not cover allegro's menu system, nor
 3-D support.  Hacking alpy to support for that takes about as long as
 writing almenu from scratch in C.  Python is slower, though allowing
 people to hack, extend (plugins?) the menu without openwrt
 cross-toolchain might be worth it!?

Any ideas?  Have some free time to spare the next few days and could try
to code a prototype once we decided what we need.

cheers,

David