Nanonote like clamshell based on AM335x processor

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Sun Aug 5 07:37:40 EDT 2012

Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> Werner himself and his unstoppable drive and inspiration. So I

Heh, thanks, but that's not entirely fair to a number of
people, including yourself. What we can say with certainty is
that activity and enthusiasm have greatly diminished.

Qi-Hw has changed from a place where people go because something
exciting is happening (or where they at least expect it to
happen any moment) to a place they go because it has become a
habit.

> The TI idea would lead me away from all of those,

I quite strongly disagree with this view. If the last few years
of Qi-Hw have shown anything, it's that you can't thrive on a
starvation diet. It's pretty irrelevant if you're all set up to
slay the dragon and bed the princess next week if you die of
hunger today.

So if a company was willing to finance a Nanonote successor
project around chips that are reasonably open, and thus breathe
new life into our effort, I'd be more than willing to join the
effort.

You've expressed a dislike for TI for a long time, but I still
fail to see the reason. Maybe it's a legacy from the good times
we had at Openmoko ?

PowerVR is evil, of course, and it's sad that TI still throw
their support behind it, but if you don't make your product
depend on this sort of acceleration, it's only a relatively
minor nuisance to have it around, turned off and ignored by us.

For the rest of the SoC features, I don't see any "traps" in
TI's chips. And I rather like the fact that I can find quite
comprehensive and well-written technical documentation within
mere seconds, instead of having to sift through dozens of
rather unsavoury sites in the hope to find some scraps that
let me puzzle out how the critter in question works.

Having said that, I found Ingenic documentation decent enough.
But it's sad - and somewhat insulting - that, after all those
years, we still can't just point people to an official place
where they can download it.