Nanonote like clamshell based on AM335x processor

Sébastien Bourdeauducq sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net
Sun Aug 5 09:32:10 EDT 2012

On 08/05/2012 03:17 PM, Yann Sionneau wrote:
> let's put apart Milkymist SoC since
> there is no ASIC yet and therefore no decent CPU frequency in it for a
> general purpose product

This is more a marketing problem. What is a "general purpose product"
and for whom? Is making a computer the only thing that matters? Do we
have to run Linux, GNU utilities, and other traditional software?

For example, you could technically run an excellent feature-phone on MM
SoC in the current Spartan-6, including the whole GSM baseband
processing and a neat small color LCD. The problem is it would cost a
lot more than the $40 disposable devices you find everywhere today, and
I don't think many people would be ready to pay the premium just for
freedom. This does not mean that such a feature-phone is worthless - it
would have been very cool a dozen years ago...

Sébastien