Ben NanoNote and pygame

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Aug 16 06:22:11 EDT 2012

Hello,

First of all, I'd like to thank the Qi Hardware developers and community for
producing a remarkable device. I have been following this project at a
considerable distance for some time, but recently decided that I should get
more involved with open hardware and try and contribute some time and energy
to help this project.

I think that I may be able to combine some of my own knowledge around some of
the software available for the NanoNote with more specific knowledge about
the device, much of which I probably have to learn, in order to make it even
more interesting for people who recognise the benefits of open hardware. Of
course, my motivations are slightly selfish: learning new things and getting
more out of the NanoNote myself are rewards in their own right. :-)

On more concrete matters, I'd like to thank Xiangfu for committing my pygame
changes recently:

http://qi-hw.com/p/openwrt-packages/939a741

As I mentioned, there are also changes to libsdl_mixer that enable Vorbis
support, although I imagine that these need to go upstream to OpenWrt. I also
mentioned that the play command doesn't seem to work as well with Vorbis as
SDL with Vorbis enabled, perhaps indicating that the linkage of that command
needs investigating:

http://en.qi-hardware.com/irclogs/qi-hardware_2012-08-15.log.html

I've also been trying to investigate floating point support in an attempt to
get numpy to build. I'm starting to form the opinion that the toolchain needs
to persuade something to make the fenv.h header file available, but this in
turn may require an actual implementation of the associated functionality to
be written. I aim to try various things out in this regard, and here are two
references that may or may not be instructive:

http://freesa.org/toolchain/ (see step 7b)
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/28624

Thank you once again for producing a wonderful little device, everyone! I look
forward to developing for it and seeing where the course of open hardware
takes me.

Paul