Statistics: November 2012

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Dec 1 17:41:13 EST 2012

On Saturday 01 December 2012 22:24:22 Werner Almesberger wrote:

> The mailing lists:
>
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/stat/ml-qihw-1112.png
>
> One the mailing lists, qi-hardware achieved an amazing 90%
> reduction since last month. We should share our secret with the
> folks in Doha, currently trying figure out how to do the same
> with greenhouse gases.

Well, I think there's an obvious direct correspondence between enthusiasm for
concrete future developments and the list traffic such enthusiasm generates.

I've been looking back through the list archives, mostly to get a better
understanding of the history of the different projects, and obviously months
like July 2010 were high-traffic months on the list because there were a lot
of things going on, leading to other things that people were looking forward
to, whereas there doesn't seem to be the same momentum or sense of direction
now that there once was.

I also imagine that even if people are doing things that might interest the
list subscribers, they aren't really talking about it on the list. That may
be because there's nothing to report, or perhaps they don't think that anyone
is interested.

I can only speak for myself when I say that I don't have much to report on
anything NanoNote-related. I was playing around with interfacing my NanoNote
to Arduino via USB, but eventually decided that my time would be better spent
working on some of the many other things that I feel are interesting or that
someone should be doing, and sadly this isn't a list that is dominated by
copyleft hardware projects.

I did, however, go to FSCONS in Gothenburg and got a few concrete ideas
indirectly from my trip, mostly thanks to spending time travelling and having
the time to contemplate some software concepts for the NanoNote (which I also
got to play with for longer than I usually do), and I also got to hear about
developments in the OpenRISC scene, which may or may not have much bearing on
anything being done in this community, but the experience was informative and
has certainly encouraged me to keep an eye on what the people involved there
are doing.

Paul