marketing

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Fri Dec 7 19:00:45 EST 2012

Christoph Pulster wrote:
> Tuxbrain as EU distributor has gone. I took his stocks over,

Ah, I see that the UBBs seem to have ended up with you, too. Good.
I was worried that they may have fallen between the cracks.

I wonder if they sell well at EUR 7 apiece, though, particularly
considering that the most likely use (*) tends to require a larger
number of them.

(*) I.e., configure a UBB for one project, then use a new UBB for
    the next project.

> but no
> support at all from Sharism. Sorry Wolfgang, Werner & Co about ranting,

Unfortunately, there's not much I can do when it comes to how
Sharism does its business. I don't quite understand myself the
reason for the difficulties you're experiencing.

> My idea is "cartridge". Prepare mSD-cards which make the Nanonote to a
> chess pocket machine, language learning tutor, PIM/PDA etc.

Hmm, while I can see the appeal of "cartridges" from a sales
point of view, I'm not sure such a "retro" idea would fly today,
since having to deal with hardware tokens - and tiny ones on top
of that - is inconvenient.

Also, given that the Ben can hold a very large number of
applications simultaneously, why would a user want to configure
it to exclusively run one ?

I could imagine use cases where there are trust issues (e.g.,
no games on the kid's vocabulary trainer, a sterile environment
for the password safe, etc.), but are they really compelling
enough ?

It would be more plausible if there were also some physical
changes that require you to send atoms around (instead of just
electrons or photons), e.g., a different keyboard. But that
doesn't really seem feasible with the current hardware design
of the Ben.