marketing

Jiří Brožovský jiri.brozovsky at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:08:41 EST 2012

Hello,

> 4. payment options limited and/or expensive (creditcard is not the best)

It probably depends on personal taste.

> 6. customs trouble with import, local VAT added + customs, believe me
> the paperwork can really be pain here in case of inspection

That's very true, unfortunately (I have a Milkymist from the Sharism).
 Fortunately, I got all my NanoNotes from EU resellers (the TuxBrain
and the Pulster).

> free sweets with any order :-)

Yes, I like them :-)

But to be serious, there are real problems. I don't know how to
promote the NanoNote to people. The fact that the hardware is mostly
open is cool but people are also asking about  features (what it can
do and what software can be used on it). And there I see problems.
The software is still half-baked. It looks like Xiangfu, David
Kuehling and others are spending most of time in catching of the
OpenWRT upstream and in fixing of regressions so they are not able to
do improvements in software.
There are problems with software inconsistenciy (several GUI toolkits
ang graphical libraries, every application has different controls -
even the NanoNote-specific ones like the NuPDF, the NanoMap and the
imgv), there is no strategy how to work with media (and other) files
(the file dialog points to the "~/ "directory: the first thing that
one can see here is a bunch of .dot files...). New users can be
confused by fact that they have to mount internal disk by hand. If one
starts a shell from the Gmenu2x then the default directory  /usr/bin
(and the user is "root" - so it is very easy to broke something with
that setup, isn't it?).

I personally use the NanoNote on a daily basis (as a RSS reader, as a
note taking device, as a calendar and as a music player). I still use
a very old firmware (from 2011) without a WPAN support ( though I do
have several Ben WPAN cards) because the new firmwares have broken
other things that I use (I'm not able to fix these problems), for
example. The WPAN development seems dead to me.

The SDK is continously changing (at the moment I don't have a working
32bit SDK that is compatible with current NanoNote software and
buildings of it needs so much time) so if I will want to fix or
enhance some software I have to rebuild it first. So I haven't ported
or improved any piece of software for a very long time (I still have
to finish the DopeWars and I wish to enhance the NuPDF with a search
and a bookmarking somewhere in future).

There are other confusing things:
- it is easy to press something in the Gmenu2x and don't be able to return
- no time/date indication in Gmenu2x
- no screen blanking feature in Gtk+/Qt applications
- no suspend feature (does it work in the last releases? I'm not able
to activate it) and thus poor battery life (it is sometimes hard to
explain why a device without wireless can't survive at least weekend
when it is on - an old Nokia 770 can run about a week and much newer
NanoNote can't survive a single day!)
- no gui or dialog interface for wireless features (WiFi or WPAN)
- sound in games (they are too loud)
- no usb-disk mode (yes, the ethernet over usb is more powerfull, but
it must be supported on both sides)

The another thing is an inability to cooperate with other (less or
more open) gadgets: there is no way how to connect the NanoNote to the
FreeRunner/GTA04 phone for example. It is also hard to explain to some
people.

Sorry for so long  and so negative post. It's just my opinion.

Jiri Brozovsky