marketing

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Thu Dec 13 16:52:43 EST 2012

Christoph Pulster wrote:
> sell me bulk qty for a price
> which allow reselling below 100 eur,

That will be difficult, considering that Wolfgang has raised the
price at sharism.cc to USD 150.

One reason he gave is that people's price expectations are based
on products with little R&D cost, a large production volume, and
and possibly mixed financing using extra services and such.

Open Hardware cannot compete with such prices and is therefore
at a disadvantage (i.e., a "true believer" wouldn't care about
the price, but there are a lot of people who, while recognizing
a value in openness, are also very sensitive to cost).

By playing that game and offering the Ben at a price that allows
only a very slim margin, he felt he was sabotaging Open Hardware
development (ours and that of others) by confirming those "race
to the bottom" price expectations.

I find this reasoning plausible and I also agree that we need to
establish openness as something that adds considerable value.

However, I don't think raising the price of the Ben was a good
idea, because it breaks continuity for existing owners who, if
considering buying more units for additional uses they have
developed/discovered or who simply need to replace a defective
device, now find that it has moved into a different price range.