Subscriptions (was Re: Statistics: November 2012)

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Thu Dec 13 19:31:10 EST 2012

Paul Boddie wrote:
> One concern I have is any effect this might have on other initiatives,
> or more
> positively, whether it might actually be compatible with and beneficial for
> other initiatives.

Is this a "do we put our efforts either into a) devising a scheme
to cut the cake as fairly as possible, or b) into making a bigger
cake" type of question ? :-)

Open Hardware is a minority phenomenon with - we hope - a strong
potential for growth. Doing things that get more people interested
ought to more than make up for any losses due to projects
competing for resources.

> I wonder whether there is potential for cooperation with that project and
> perhaps others.

Not sure. I admire their persistence, but I haven't followed the
project closely enough to know of any opportunities for synergy.

Of course, any Open Hardware project creates some amount of
unspecific benefits for similar projects. And in the case of
Qi-Hardware, we have quite a lot of that, with tools, libraries,
and production processes documented in great detail.