I'm back! (sort of)

Jane Andreas JaneAndreas at gmx.com
Fri Feb 3 03:59:20 EST 2012

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrea Bolognani
  Sent: 02/03/12 01:05 AM
  To: discussion at lists.en.qi-hardware.com
  Subject: Re: I'm back! (sort of)

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 01:38:54AM -0500, Jane Andreas wrote:

> any chance of using a decent mail client in the future? The one you’re
> currently using doesn’t seem to properly support quoting, and that fact
> makes it really difficult to follow the conversation.
>
> > You're right, I need to address this and I would love if someone on
> > the list would step up and help- I have wanted to set up a Gmail with
> > GPG, but as they are set to become worse on Mar.1, that is not an
> > option. What services does anyone recommend? Should I shun webmail
> > entirely? I'm not even sure if I could... Please get back to me as I
> > want to break free soon!

Privacy concerns aside, Gmail generally does a pretty good job at being
a nice citizen of mailing lists. The only peeve I have with it is the
way it manages quotes, forcing you to quote an empty line before the
actual quote to have it properly displayed by other clients. They may
have addressed this since I last used it, though.

Will GPG address the google ability to read user emails?

Webmail is convenient if you often find yourself sending mail from
other people’s computers. Most of the time, however, native mail clients
are a better choice because they usually have better support for the
various standards and quirks.

> > I think that key-sending feature is cool
> > also, how could I get that?

Are you referring to the fact that my mail client sends the PGP signature
as an attachment? That’s the default behaviour for mutt.

> (There’s a great one called mutt you can install on your NanoNote, if
> you decide you want to configure USB Ethernet after all ;)
>
> > If mutt is just a client, what kind of account could I plug it into?

If your current mail account supports IMAP and SMTP you’re pretty much
set: mutt has built–in support for both nowadays[1][2].

There are, of course, a million different setups you could build: just to
give you an example, in my current setup mutt displays mail from a bunch
of local mboxes; new messages are fetched via POP3 using getmail[3] and
delivered to the correct mbox using procmail[4], while outgoing messages
are sent out through nullmailer[5].

In the end, it doesn’t really matter which client you’re using: mutt,
Evolution, Thunderbird, they all do their job just fine. As long as your
mail account gives you IMAP (or POP3) and SMTP access, you’re good to go.

[1] http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html#ss4.11
[2] http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html#smtp-authenticators
[3] http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/
[4] http://www.procmail.org/