Working on Iris again

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Sun Jan 22 13:30:15 EST 2012

On 18-01-12 19:19, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> There is also bad news, but I'm sure it can be fixed. I have a new
> computer, with a new ssh key. I cannot push my changes into the
> git repository on the projects server for some reason.

This has been fixed, thanks Wolfgang for the help. Now for those who
want to try it out:

- - First of all, don't expect too much. The impressive thing is that it
runs, not that it is already useful. ;-)

- - Install a mipsel-linux-gnu cross-compiler if you don't have one yet.
The easiest way on Debian is by adding this line to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ squeeze main
and installing gcc-4.4-mipsel-linux-gnu with your favourite package
manager.
- - Check out the repository from git://projects.qi-hardware.com/iris.git
- - Either be root while talking to the device, or allow mortals to
access newly plugged in usb devices by telling udev (for example by
installing attached rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d/, which only does
this for the NanoNote boot mode and when running Iris)
- - If you have the serial port connected, make sure SERIAL in Makefile
is your port and run make debug to start monitoring it. If you get
errors about my setserial hacking, comment those lines out; I need
them for my broken usb serial port.
- - configure the server:
cd mips/nanonote/server; autoreconf -fis; ./configure; cd ../../..
(You only need to do this once; building happens automatically)
- - Make sure the Ben is powered on with usb boot. It should work by
pressing u during the boot, but if it doesn't, let me know and use the
hardware method.
- - Build Iris and start it
make

What you should see:
- - The server sends stage 1, then Iris, then it boots and connects to
the booted system. The booted system uses a very inefficient protocol
to retrieve files from the host. The server provides access to
everything in fs/ with this method.
- - It loads same executables and data (as defined in fs/init.config).
Then it starts a timer application, which really is serveral programs
(keyboard driver, display driver, buzzer driver (that's not the sound
card, as you can hear), gui manager, the program itself).

If you don't get it to work, or if you do ;-), please let me know.
Questions, comments and patches are obviously welcome. However, before
writing patches you will want to tell me what you'll be doing; I'm
making big changes myself as well (mostly to userspace).

If anything goes wrong, the serial output is very useful. So if at all
possible, please send a serial log with bug reports.

Thanks,
Bas