I'm back! (sort of)

Jane Andreas JaneAndreas at gmx.com
Mon Jan 23 22:01:38 EST 2012

I did modprobe snd_pcm_oss and I guess snd_mixer_oss was loaded automatically (lsmod showed this). I then used bplay and the 'dirt' and tick were completely gone! Changing the player fixed the problem and now the Ben is a viable mini Csound studio. Thanks, Bas! Now I wonder if there are any fine-grained mixers available...

----- Original Message -----
  Sent: 01/23/12 06:32 AM
  To: English Qi Hardware mailing list - support, developers, use cases and fun
  Subject: Re: I'm back! (sort of)

On 23-01-12 04:22, Jane Andreas wrote:
> I tried to install bplay to play wav's to see if a different player would give me better sound, but bplay gave me the error "cannot open /dev/dsp". I think the sound device is different on this Nanonote but do not know how to identify it right now. If I knew its address, I could append -d (device name) before the .wav name and it would in theory, play. The Latest Qi-Image has the sound perfect so I know it can work well. What I do not know is what differs from this 2.6.32.10 and the newest Qi Image. Maybe the more recent kernels simply work better with the hardware? In that case I would try to build a cutting edge Sid (which I currently do not know how to do). If the player is all I need to change, that would be easier. I have thought about trying cmus, but like bplay because it is simpler. Perhaps the buffer would change those ticks?

If it uses /dev/dsp, it needs OSS emulation. Newer programs directly use
alsa, so nowadays it isn't always loaded. It's in modules:
snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss.
If you load those, it should work.

Thanks,
Bas   

More information about the discussion mailing list

interactive