I'm back! (sort of)

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Wed Jan 25 17:45:51 EST 2012

On 01/24/2012 09:14 AM, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On 24-01-12 04:01, Jane Andreas wrote:
>> Now I wonder if there are any fine-grained mixers available...
>
> There aren't; the hardware doesn't support it. It has three settings:
> mic boost (2 bit), input gain (5 bit) and output gain (2 bit).

There might not be a fine-grained hardware mixer available, but there's
a software one that can be enabled by configuring ALSA. I've done that
on my NanoNote because I felt all the available hardware volume levels
were rather too loud.

It shows up as a second volume control slider in the same mixer panel (I
named mine PCM because that's what programs tend to look for), and is
much more fine-grained than the master hardware one, so I just leave the
hardware slider alone and use the software slider instead.

The first version I posted here of this configuration broke recording
(and was therefore pulled back out of the default distro), but I've
since fixed that. I sent the final version to this list too, so it can
be found in the list archives, but I don't think it got picked up (yet?)
by the distro maintainers.

That configuration also allows multiple programs to play (and record)
sound at the same time, though I haven't found much use for that yet,
beyond playing a bit with feedback (arecord|aplay, then aplay again)...

If you want it, I can send you the config file so you can use it on your
NanoNote - it shouldn't care what distro it's used on.

--
Regards,
Frode Austvik