I'm back! (sort of)

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Fri Jan 27 17:26:44 EST 2012

On 01/27/2012 07:14 PM, Jane Andreas wrote:
>    From: EdorFaus
>> There might not be a fine-grained hardware mixer available, but there's
>> a software one that can be enabled by configuring ALSA.

>> That configuration also allows multiple programs to play (and record)
>> sound at the same time, though I haven't found much use for that yet,
>
> I can think of a use for that... recording things over a drum beat
> genenerated with either jdkdrum or csound.

Maybe I wasn't quite clear - even without this config, you can record
and play at the same time, e.g. with aplay on one console and arecord on
another.
What it adds, is that several programs can play at the same time, and
equivalently for recording, e.g. running aplay one one console, then
running aplay on another console before the first is done, and having
both be heard at the same time.

>> If you want it, I can send you the config file so you can use it on your
>> NanoNote - it shouldn't care what distro it's used on.
>
> I would love it, but I would require some tutelage on where to put
> it  and what do to it so it works.

OK, here it is. Just save it as /etc/asound.conf (maybe first check for
an existing one, and backing it up in case mine doesn't work for you),
then play something (with aplay) so the config is reloaded. The new
control should then show up in alsamixer.

Removing it is slightly more involved, as the control keeps its state in
ALSA even when the config file is removed, but I can detail that if it
becomes an issue.

> I am wondering what the best approach to changing my keymap to
> Colemak is...

I don't really know anything about this, I'm afraid... Hopefully someone
else can help.

> What about trying to change locales in Debian?

Assuming you want to choose a new locale, just run this, select the ones
you want available, and then which one should be default:

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

You may need to log out and back in (or even reboot) for the new default
to take effect for everything.

The selected locales are kept in /etc/locale.gen, but I think you need
to run some other command to (re)generate them if you edit it manually,
and I don't really know where the default is stored.

... or did you mean to modify a locale definition? That I don't know...

> Thanks and that is a YES on your config file, maybe you could even
> put  it on the qi-wiki..,

Maybe I should... I still have hope of getting it included in the base
distro though. OTOH, it might be useful for those using other distros...

> By the way your name is cool, what is it's origin and pronunciation?
> I  can't help but think it is /frod/, but it might be /froda/ also?

It's a Norwegian name (my country of origin), not sure of its origins
beyond that - never really thought much about it. I have a cup that says
it means "wise", but I'm not so sure if that applies to me. :P

I don't really know how to write pronounciation in Norwegian, nevermind
in English (which is a secondary language for me), so I'm tempted to
just say it's pronounced straight forward "frode" - but that's not
really helpful at all, is it, since it depends on knowing Norwegian? :P

Hmm. Well, the e is basically the same as the e in hello. The rest of
it... I think the closest I'm going to get is Frodo (from LotR), just
replacing the second o with an e as above. (I just hope you pronounce
Frodo about the same way I would. :P )

Maybe I should just put a wav online somewhere. :P

-Frode

P.S. I think this pronounciation stuff is even worse for my nick,
actually - I've had it since I was a kid (though only online, it's not
used IRL), and I always think it using Norwegian pronounciation, but as
far as I can tell, English-speakers tend to pronounce it completely
differently. :P