News?

Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross maillist_qi-hardware at aross.me
Thu Jul 26 20:50:26 EDT 2012

On 26/07/12 16:28, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> "Ron K. Jeffries" <rjeffries at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Sebastian,
>>
>> It was a joke, obviously.
>>
>> Significantly raising prices is unusual in this business.
>> Time will tell whether it was a Good Idea.
>>
>> Ben Nanonote sold slowly at $99 (qty 1,300 over approx. two years) and
>> Milkymist sold under
>> about 100 units over a year at the lower prices.
>>
>> I am having some fun with my $35 Raspberry Pi.
>> They are now producing about 4000 a week.
>> I realize it does not meet the requirements of open hardware.
>
> Still, I'd buy one of those--if it came with a battery, display, and input;
> and a convenient case so that I could carry it in my pocket.
>
>> Possibly more interesting (to me) is this emerging "computer on a
>> [USB] stick" that use the Allwinner A10 SOC. They mainly come with
>> Android (meh...) but most also have a Linux port.
>
> I've been watching those, too; but I still don't understand them--
> I just don't even see how to use them: how do they interface
> with the user?
>
>> Chinese tablets in 7-in. size are approaching $100-$125. Specs are not
>> killer, but will be IMO very useful as a small portable computer.
>
> You must have bigger pockets than I do.
>
> Try as I might, I just can't abide by cargo pants...,
> so miniturisation has value :)
>
>> I purchase stuff that solves a problem for me.
>
> Don't we all? ;)
>
> On that note, I'm somewhat surprised that I didn't
> see even a single response to my post on this topic
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.qi.general/698>:
>
>      ... speaking as a contributing member of the FOSS community:
>      the best way to turn me into a contributing developer for you project
>      is for you to make your project almost solve a problem that I have.
>
>      So maybe a good question to ask is: what problems can Ben Nanonote
>      almost-solve, and for which hackers can it almost-solve them?
>
> I would have thought that `what problems can we almost solve'
> would be a pretty ripe brainstorming-topic....

Personal Pocket computer. That's a big problem for me. Geeks Phone
Zero/Citizen Surveillance Device was a mistake. I am disappointed with
android too. Hate some of there choices. Like no menu categories,
rubbish audio recording. A nice command on a nano note, I expect can do
better,easier audio recording than a flipping 700MHz CPU, 128MB ram
Citizen Surveillance Device!

Can the NN cope with monitoring the mic for a clap or two so one can
have clap to stop/pause/play audio recording/playing?