OMG, Nanonote price exploding!

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Jun 13 01:45:19 EDT 2012

David Kuehling <dvdkhlng at gmx.de> writes:
> "Wolfgang" == Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> writes:
> >
> > I don't care how many people buy a Ben or Milkymist One.  All I care
> > about is that those buyers are 100% satisfied with what they
> > bought. There are fantastic things to discover about both devices, and
> > increasing the prices to 149/799 will increase chances for buyer
> > happiness.
[...]
> Ha, yet another idea: if user happiness is the ultimate metric, we might
> want to create more incentitives for users to turn into (contributing)
> developers / community members.  Hand out git commit access per default
> to every buyer;

Every buyer already gets git commit access--they just don't get
push access :)

More seriously, speaking as a contributing member of the FOSS community:
the best way to turn me into a contributing developer for you project
is for you to make your project almost solve a problem that I have.

So maybe a good question to ask is: what problems can Ben Nanonote
almost-solve, and for which hackers can it almost-solve them?

Bear in mind, of course, that you can't target `almost solve' at
an area where there's already a `completely solve' player...,
unless there's an empty spot sitting adjacent to that player.

Tangentially, consider this project:

    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joylabs/makey-makey-an-invention-kit-for-everyone

What has to happen in order for Ben Nanonote to be able to have that
`bicycle for the mind' effect?

> make it easier to find the mailinglist, or offer a discount to people
> who port packages.

Reminds me of an interesting idea I saw (I think) in the StatusNet wiki,
the other day: Flattr buttons in the bug-tracker.