IPv6 on Ben Nanonote

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Fri Jun 15 20:17:06 EDT 2012

> On 06/13/2012 09:27 AM, David Kuehling wrote:
>> BenNanoNote$ ip -6 address add dev usb0 RTNETLINK answers: operation
>> not supported

> Hi

> After run those command. I got a ipv6 address under nanonote: opkg
> update && opkg install kmod-ipv6 after install the kmod-ipv6, the usb0
> will got a ipv6 address automatically

Same here, just

  opkg update && opkg install kmod-ipv6

now I can ping6.  You used ping6 argument "-I usb0" to select the
ethernet device.  This is a little ugly.  Instead you can make the
address complete by appending %usb0 to specify the scope:

  ping6 fe80::a8ad:93ff:fe3f:3be3%usb0

> Then I can ping6 from/to host ping6 -I usb0 fe80::a8ad:93ff:fe3f:3be3

> Just quick test ssh -6 to nanonote. I think the 'dropbear' not support
> ipv6 yet or not enabled.

Just checked the source code.  Dropbear *does* support IPv6.  By default
it binds the socket to both IPv4 and IPv6 addressess. However, after
enabling IPv6 support in kernel, dropbear needs to restart for the
socket to be re-created and re-bound:

   /etc/init.d/dropbear restart

Just rebooting (after install kmod-ipv6) works as well.  This means, SSH
now supports IPv6 *always* after boot.

Note that you also do need the %usb0 scope when SSHing:

   ssh root at fe80::8ccf:67ff:fe82:98e6%usb0

Next problem: the IPv6 link-local address changes after every boot!  The
IPv6 address is generated from the MAC-address; the MAC adress changes,
too.  Why???

Any chance we can give the Nanonotes a permanent MAC-address by default?

cheers,

David