IPv6 on Ben Nanonote

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Sun Jun 17 06:14:37 EDT 2012

On 06/16/2012 02:17 AM, David Kuehling wrote:
> Next problem: the IPv6 link-local address changes after every boot!  The
> IPv6 address is generated from the MAC-address; the MAC adress changes,
> too.  Why???
>
> Any chance we can give the Nanonotes a permanent MAC-address by default?

I remember hitting the same problem of non-static MAC addresses (though
for IPv4 networking) a while ago, and I believe I sent some emails to
this list about it, but apparently it never really took. (Hopefully
you'll have better luck.)

 From what I remember, Qi doesn't have a MAC address range to assign to
the devices, and are using the dynamic ones on purpose - but my
suggestion was that the devices don't *need* unique MAC addresses - as
the MAC addresses really only need to be unique on the same network, and
each host-to-ben USB link is a separate network (on the link layer
anyway, which is where MAC addresses are used).

I wanted the static MAC address so that NetworkManager could recognize
the device and automatically start its network sharing, so the NanoNote
could access the internet via the host without having to fiddle with
config files or do any further manual setup.

This works perfectly now that I've configured my NanoNote to use a
static MAC address (which is not overly difficult, see [1]), but I
figured it might be a good idea to make that the default (or at least
the (10.42.43.x) static IP that I also had to set on the NN). It seems
like the maintainers either weren't listening or didn't agree though.

Of course, my proposal was for a change in how the IPv4 networking
worked - you might have better luck, as your IPv6 proposal doesn't
change a currently (mostly) working status quo, but makes something work
that didn't previously.

--
Regards,
Frode Austvik