audio visualization on the Ben?

Xiangfu Liu xiangfu at sharism.cc
Mon Mar 5 22:09:50 EST 2012

On 03/06/2012 03:57 AM, Jane Andreas wrote:
> Hi, I am brainstorming for ideas on how to turn recorded audio on the
> Ben into an image, in the same way that Audacity or other sound
> recorders do only not in real-time. A while back I heard of
> octave-audio, but would that give a similar waveform image? Maybe
> someone knows of a lightweight tool that allows you to view the audio
> that way?

Hi Jane

I search a little on 'audio waveform image'  found this one:
works just fine under Ben Nanonote:
   http://linuxwebdev.blogspot.com/2006/03/plot-wav-file-wav2png.html
attach is one png file I created by nanonote.

BTW:
there is one option on sox can direct output png file: 'spectrogram'
   http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html
but I didn't make it work under ben nanonote.

also there is another option on 'sox' --plot. I have tested in nanonote. works fine

        --plot gnuplot|octave|off
               If not set to off (the default if --plot is not given), run in a
               mode that can be used, in conjunction with the  gnuplot  program
               or the GNU Octave program, to assist with the selection and con-
               figuration of many of the transfer-function based effects.   For
               the  first given effect that supports the selected plotting pro-
               gram, SoX will output commands to  plot  the  effect’s  transfer
               function,  and  then exit without actually processing any audio.
               E.g.

                    sox --plot octave input-file -n highpass 1320 > plot.m
                    octave plot.m

we also have the 'Gtkguitune' not sure is this one helpful
  http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Applications