[Qi Hardware Discuss] Bard Storyteller 0.7 for Nanonote

Alan W Black awb at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 8 08:06:47 EST 2012

Bard Storyteller 0.7
http://festvox.org/bard/

Bard Storyteller is free software, distributed under a BSD-like
license.

See http://festvox.org/bard/README for details

New in 0.7 has
Epub support (and initial image support)
Text highlighting based on (x)html in epub.
Bug fixes -- (I used it a lot to read books)
Fixes in audio streaming so it "gargles" less
Smooth Scroll fixes
Cursor hiding

For epub support you must have libzip, SDL_image and SDL_gfx support.
SDL_image and SDL_gfx are already available on the Ben Nanonote.  An ipk
package file for libzip is included.

I have standardized the use of the volume key on the nanonote to
control volume, scroll speed or page up/down depending on whether its
speaking, scrolling or in idle position.

Note you must update your version of flite (again) to complie 0.7.
The new support for generalized token streams requires an updated
version of flite.

The next improvements on the immediate horizon are:
Better voices (that are fast enough, which is currently our problem)
    better voices are fully supported on faster platforms

Alan W Black                                email: awb at cs.cmu.edu
Language Technologies Institute             http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/
Carnegie Mellon University                  tel: +1-412-268-6299
5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh PA, 15213, USA. fax: +1-412-268-6298