discussion Digest, Vol 26, Issue 15

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Fri Mar 23 21:48:06 EDT 2012

"Ron K. Jeffries" <rjeffries at gmail.com> writes:

> How functional is Guile on Ben Nanonote? Is teh small screen an issue?

With the tiniest of fonts, you can actually get more than 80 characters
across (and it's still readable... if your eyes are sharp, or if you
carry a magifying lens..., or both...).

But even with the slightly-larger fonts, I still find it's OK;
it makes quite a nice `programmer's calculator'--especially if you
put something like this into your .guile file:

    (use-modules (ice-9 pretty-print))

    (define (save proc)
      (with-output-to-port
        (open-file
          (string-append (getenv "HOME") "/.guile")
          "a")
        (lambda ()
          (newline)
          (pretty-print (list 'define
                              (procedure-name proc)
                              (procedure-source proc))
                        #:width 50))))

Actually, you only need to put the `use-modules' call into .guile,
then you can just type the rest into the REPL, and then do:

    (save save)

... and it'll save itself :)

> Curious how people** are using Guile on NN. It's pretty amazing that
> this Lisp variant runs at all on the platform.

Why? Ben NanoNote's specs are comparable to the computers used to make
Jurassic Park... :)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_O2

> ** I wonder what N is for: "N of Guile users on Nanonote platform"?

Count me as 1/N.

Now... how many of us are working on their own Scheme implementations? :)