Rules on editing schematics (was Re: [Milkymist-devel] reviews (was Re: [KiCad M1R4] First KiCad version for Milkymist One Schematics.))

Adam Wang adam at sharism.cc
Tue May 8 05:26:21 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Werner Almesberger
<werner at almesberger.net>wrote:

> - DVH-ISingle.sch (D5), MiscControl.sch (D6-D13): including the
>  package in the drawing makes the diodes look quite strange.
>  Particularly the DMX diode circuit takes a while to decipher.

My thought was like this:
a) if the symbol can be both kept same outlook as its topside view and
common illustration, then make it same as package topside view. Since this
way, one doesn't need to open CvPcb or Pcbnew to view footprint that which
pin is which pin. Just look pdf schematic then knows it.

b) if a traditional illustration is common than topside view, then use
common one. To this, a veteran could easily see details in Pcbnew of KiCad.

although both a) and b) will always meet several different pin assignment
from one vendor or different vendors.

As you know, while building footprint(module), this variant can be selected
well according to real pin assignments.

Btw, finally i still changed them. :)

>  Perhaps we could use a diode symbol with the pin numbers set
>  to match the package, like it's done for Q1 or Q2.

actually i also wanted Q1 to be look likely its package top view though.
but a  normal common MOSFET electronic symbol seems better.

> - a few fonts are a bit small:
>  J17 on DVI-ISingle.sch (unreadable),
>  U3 on Misc.sch (borderline, not sure if we want to change that
>  one)

J17: changed to a real female socket of front view but with pins on its
frame. Should be easy to know. One can check DVI wiki or web to know pins
definition. :)

U3: currently its size of pin name and pin number are all 0.05" which same
as others, so I would keep as it.

> - text very close to other things:
>
>  - Audio.sch: 4V4 power symbol. The text touches the circle. In
>    the other power symbols (3V3, etc.), there is a little gap.

fixed.

>  - Audio.sch: similarly, AUDIO_AGND overlaps slightly with the
>    symbol.

fixed.

>  - Audio.sch: the AUDIO_AGND at the bottom, slighly right of
>    the middle, is even off-center.

fixed.

>  - Audio.sch: the component reference of C4, etc., sits right
>    on the "X".

fixed.

>  - USB*.sch: R136, R137, ... are very crowded. It would be
>    better to move the resistor value above the symbols (like
>    for DRAM)

fixed but not like DRAM. :-)

>  - USB*.sch: the text below the GND symbol on V1 is very close
>    and looks as if it was part of the GND symbol.

fixed.

>  - MiscControl.sch (U4, U5), USB*.sch (U16, U26, ...) have the
>    pin names touch the side of the symbol. There should be a
>    small gap. Like, e.g., in U8.

changed.

> - some of the ground wires look a bit awkward
>
>  - Audio.sch: J23 etc., perhaps just make the GND wire drop
>    and cross the other signals, instead of making a loop.
>    Similar to J1.

fixed.

>  - Audio.sch: J26 there, you could even just flip the component
>    along the X axis, and then have ground point down and 3V3
>    point up.

no. :-) I tried to keep all pin 1 of audio connectors to upward. so no
filp. :-)
but now similar to J1.

>  - Ethernet.sch: R174 would look better if you dragged nETH_RESET
>    up and put the resistor (and GND) under it.

changed.

> - Audio.sch: TP5 is rotated without need.

changed.

> - EXPANSION_RESET.sch: the text above J21 would sound better as
>  "Users [...] their [...]" instead of "User ... your ..."

changed.

> - FPGA_BANK3.sch: perhaps we should add a table for the revision
>  codes, similar to what I've done in the lower left corner of
>  http://projects.qi-hardware.com/schhist/labsw/pdf_head/labsw.pdf

added.

> Once the style is done, the next step should then be a component
> by component comparison between the AD version and the KiCad
> version, to see if anything has changed by accident.

Sounds good.
- adam