MilklyMist SOC On A PCIMA Card

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Nov 16 18:51:04 EST 2012

On Thursday 15 November 2012 17:53:33 Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross wrote:
> What about a card using the MilklyMist SOC? Would make for the first
> copyleft hardware tablet,laptop headline.
> See http://rhombus-tech.net/

Actually, disregarding the Rhombus Tech effort until they produce some
hardware (but see also Olimex [1] and Cubieboard [2]), and considering FPGA
technology and open cores, as part of looking at the efforts of the OpenRISC
community in advance of attending a talk at FSCONS last weekend, I stumbled
across the following:

http://opencores.org/or1k/Ordb2a-ep4ce22

On a different topic, there was some discussion about open hardware licences
in/at the talk, and the following licence came up as a response to perceived
shortcomings with software licences when applied to hardware projects:

http://juliusbaxter.net/ohdl/

The author did seem to indicate that he welcomed discussion and even
correction of his course of action to draft a new licence, in that if people
could point him to a licence that fulfilled his criteria, he'd consider using
it instead. Maybe there's some information on the Qi-Hardware Wiki that
covers this kind of thing, though.

Paul

[1] https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/
[2] http://cubieboard.org/