Why Is Mplayer Forced To Use The Vorbis Decoder?

Bas Wijnen wijnen at debian.org
Thu Oct 11 02:19:31 EDT 2012

On 11-10-12 01:50, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross wrote:
> If I disabled the "ac=tremor" setting in the "/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf".
> I can now play Flac and WAV as well as Vorbis. Why force only Vorbis
> support?

Just a guess: tremor is the integer-only implementation of vorbis. When
playing vorbis files, it's a good idea to use it (on a machine without
FPU, like the NanoNote). The intention of the switch is probably "when
playing vorbis files, use tremor", but mplayer doesn't treat it as such. ;-)

Actually, it would be best to install only tremor, and make libvorbis a
symlink to it. Then you wouldn't need to tell programs anything to use
it. But I suppose that won't work well with symbol versions.

Thanks,
Bas