Why Is Mplayer Forced To Use The Vorbis Decoder?

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Oct 11 06:26:03 EDT 2012

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:50:28AM +0100, Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross wrote:
>> If I disabled the "ac=tremor" setting in the
>> "/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf".  I can now play Flac and WAV as well as
>> Vorbis. Why force only Vorbis support?

> Tremor is a integer decoder for vorbis. I guess it's there to avoid
> using a floating point decoder for vorbis. A parameter to be used only
> when playing vorbis though.

Yes that was the intention.  By default mplayer would use floating-point
libvorbis (or something from ffmpeg?) which is not fast enough on Ben.
Note that for surround-sound audio, floating point vorbis is still used
(and fails), as tremor only supports up to two channels of audio.

Replacing ac=tremor with afm=tremor should be more correct and fix the
issue.

Alternatively non-functioning floating-point vorbis could be removed via
configure-arg or patch?

Any patch welcome,

cheers,

David