Why Is Mplayer Forced To Use The Vorbis Decoder?

EdorFaus edorfaus at xepher.net
Fri Oct 12 13:05:15 EDT 2012

On 10/11/2012 12:26 PM, David Kuehling wrote:
> Yes that was the intention.  By default mplayer would use floating-point
> libvorbis (or something from ffmpeg?) which is not fast enough on Ben.
> Note that for surround-sound audio, floating point vorbis is still used
> (and fails), as tremor only supports up to two channels of audio.
>
> Replacing ac=tremor with afm=tremor should be more correct and fix the
> issue.

Another way of doing it would be to append a comma - while "ac=tremor"
means to only try using tremor, "ac=tremor," means to try tremor first
but fall back to others if that fails.

> Alternatively non-functioning floating-point vorbis could be removed via
> configure-arg or patch?

This can also be done using ac= actually (at least according to
mplayer's man page on my computer, I haven't tried it yet), as prefixing
the codec name with a "-" means to omit it.

So, the following line should mean to try tremor first, if that doesn't
work then skip the libvorbis and ffmpeg vorbis codecs, but try others so
that other file formats still work:

ac=tremor,-vorbis,-ffvorbis,

Assuming there aren't any other vorbis codecs with higher priority, I
think it should also work to use "ac=-vorbis,-ffvorbis," as that should
make it skip those two but still try others, which includes tremor.

--
Regards,
Frode Austvik