opkg has wget error code 3 when installing gcc-mips via internet from software/latest:-(

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Tue Sep 11 16:59:31 EDT 2012

> Hi, all, Well, I'm back to updating my NN to the latest image.
> Everything has gone well until I tried to:

> opkg update opkg install gcc-mips

> The download gets started well but then after about 15 seconds or so,
> a return code of 3 from wget stops the install.  This return code
> translates into a file I/O error as far as I can figure out:)

Not sure, but I think that the openwrt OS downloads temporary files into
the ramdisk at /tmp or /var.  Both the package list (opkg update) and
the gcc-mips package thus have to fit into the remaining free RAM to
make the installation work.

Does installation work if you kill gmenu2x first (or launch 'ash' from
gmenu2x which has a similar effect)?

Does it work if you add a swap partition or swap file via micro-SD?

cheers,

David