Running the Ben NanoNote in QEMU
thebeez at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 11 17:20:16 EDT 2012
I've made considerably progress in making at least most tty apps run in an
emulated Ben Nanonote.
(1) For that I took a kernel from
(2) I made a raw disk of 512 megs, partitioned it and made a Linux partition;
under an ARM(!) emulated Linux (it's much easier that way than a looped
(3) wgetted the openwrt*-rootfs.tar.gz and unpacked it in the mounted
(4) cd /mnt/dev; mknod console c 5 1
(5) Booted it as qemu-system-mipsel -m 32 -kernel vmlinux-qemu -hda
ben.img -append "root=/dev/sda1 rw console=tty0 init=/bin/sh"
(6) cd /etc/; mv inittab inittab.old; mv rcS rcS.old
(7) vi rcS; lines "#!/bin/sh<cr>mount -t proc proc /proc
(8) sync;sync; mount -f /
(9) Made /etc/fstab and populated /dev a bit more (disk, null and tty)
(10) Rebooted with: qemu-system-mipsel -m 32 -kernel vmlinux-qemu -hda
ben.img -append "root=/dev/sda1 rw console=tty0"
(11) BTW, "halt" works at this stage. For that reason it is recommended to
fsck after step 8.
Image included. I think the adaptation procedure could be wrapped in a script
or something - and most likely it could be improved upon. But my knowledge is
limited and I would need some help. At least it could help developers who DO
NOT want to buy a Nanonote to port their stuff with much more ease - since
they can test it in emulation.
Absolutely no trees were killed to produce this sig. Well, OK, we had to tie
one up and torture it. That's it.
Visit our website! http://thebeez.home.xs4all.nl/4tH/
*** Home of the 4tH compiler! ***
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 41177 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the discussion