Needed symbolic link missing in /usr/libexec/git-core!

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Fri Sep 14 15:51:27 EDT 2012

A quick note on the latest image:

When I tried using git, I got the message during one operation, that
"git-merge" could not be found!  A quick check of the directory
structure showed that "git-merge" was in fact present in
/usr/libexec/git-core and that it was a symbolic link pointing to
"git".  This was the problem about a year ago with git as
installed in OpenWRT: the symbolic links in /usr/libexec/git-core all
pointed to "git" when they should have pointed to "/usr/bin/git".
The fix is to add yet one more symbolic link in
/usr/libexec/git-core:

ln -s /usr/bin/git  git

and then git will be happy:)

Maybe at some point this change can go into the upstream sources so it
does not continue to appear.  It almost seems that I am the only user
of git on the NN:-) Among other things, my NN is yet another backup of
my various software projects.  Git makes it easy to synchronize all my
machines.

        Delbert