Performance analysis of SPI drivers for ATBEN

Andrea Bolognani eof at kiyuko.org
Sat Apr 13 06:22:22 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:14:27PM -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Heh, thanks ! :-) I'm happy with that name, too. At Openmoko, I
> even managed to establish a better one: to make it easier for us
> engineers to install the system on a "virgin" device (i.e., fresh
> from the factory), which was a fairly involved process, with JTAG
> and so on (the Ben is really easy in comparison), I wrote a
> script I jokingly called the "devirginator".
>
> I expected that someone would quickly find the name inapproriate,
> but it passed without comment. I guess that would be different in
> a US or EU company :-)
>
> What I didn't expect was that nobody would bother to actually
> make a proper setup process for mass production, and in the end
> that very same devirginator ended up in the assembly line at the
> factory, with young female factory workers being trained to type
> "./devirginate" at the appropriate time ...

I'm surprised you got away with that. And honestly, with sexism in the
FLOSS community being a hot topic right now, if I were you I wouldn't
be so keen about posting stuff like this on a public mailing list. YMMV.

DirtPAN is still a pretty funny and uncontroversial name, though :)

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof at kiyuko.org>