Ben NanoNote kernel, status of critical patches ?

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Mon Apr 22 09:36:36 EDT 2013

Using the (nearly) mainline kernel (net-next, closely tracking 3.9),
one can almost build a working kernel for the Ben. "Working" here
means that it gets to a shell on the serial console.

In the OpenWRT build process, a fairly large number of kernel
patches gets applied. They live here:

http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/openwrt-xburst/source/tree/master/target/linux/xburst/patches-3.3

I found that just one of them is essential for getting the system to
boot:

0020-qi_lb60-NAND-add-data-partition.patch

I also used

0008-qi_lb60-Don-t-use-3-wire-spi-mode-for-the-display-fo.patch

to get fewer complaints from the kernel.

To boot a mainline kernel, I also had to override the boot command
line and add init=/etc/preinit (OpenWRT traditionally had a kernel
hack that added this directly to init/main.c, but I don't know if
they still use this. In any case, our u-boot setup seems to expect
the kernel to find preinit on its own, which it doesn't.)

With this, I get to a shell and can play with ATBEN and such.

Since I'm using a "headless" board, I don't know whether the screen
would actually work. The absence of

0007-Add-ili8960-lcd-driver.patch

in mainline suggests that it won't. Another thing that's missing
is the USB driver,

0002-Add-jz4740-udc-driver.patch

The rest of those 3.3 patches are mainly about NAND optimizations,
audio, power saving, wireless, and assorted minor changes.

I wonder what the status of all those patches is. Have they been
submitted towards upstream ? If yes, have they been accepted by
the respective subsystem maintainers and just haven't propagated
into Linus' tree yet ? Is someone tracking them ?