Arduino Yún

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Wed Aug 7 09:17:37 EDT 2013

Paul Boddie wrote:
> I wonder whether it would be possible to "rebase" the NanoNote on [AR9331]
> hardware.

I would expect WLAN-centric chips/modules to be very constrained
when it comes to peripherals. For example, the AR9331-AL1A doesn't
have an LCD interface, seems to lack MMC completely, and so on.

I'd also question the wisdom of designing with a chip that's not
fully documented.

For something Ya-like, I'd rather look at chips like Freescale's
i.MX233 and i.MX283. They come with complete and publicly
accessible documentation, pack a lot of peripherals, including
voltage regulators, are fairly inexpensive, and are already
supported by Linux. You can find other open designs using at least
the i.MX23.

The i.MX283 is the clearly nicer choice, both in terms of
capabilities and in terms of price, but it's only available as BGA,
increasing the development cost. The i.MX233 is available in LQFP.

They run at "only" 454 MHz, but that's still plenty for a Ben-grade
device.